Re: [LAD] What do you do for a living?

From: Jeremy <jeremybubs@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 11 2010 - 06:50:43 EET

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 10:17 PM, Kris C <cpczk@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I understand that a lot of you develop for free software and are passionate
> at what you do. But how do you pay the bills? What do you do for a living?
> Are you a student? Do you do software development just as a hobby, or do
> you want to make a living doing this kind of work?
>
> The reason I ask this is because I am curious about what kind of
> backgrounds a free software developer has. As for me, I am a student
> majoring in Music and minoring in Computer Science. I got the idea of
> writing this email, actually, because Google had an internship panel at my
> school. Google just loooooves open source and those involved. It sounds
> like Google has quite a friendly and cooperative working atmosphere, and
> they treat their employees very well. Yeah, I'd like to work for Google,
> but who doesn't right? :)
>
> -Kris

Hi Kris,

I'm a student, and I do have a very part time job programming things other
than linux audio, but that's not necessarily the career I'm going into. Any
audio programming I do is entirely in my own time for my enjoyment and the
enjoyment of others. Essentially it boils down to "I want X. What? It
doesn't exist yet? Well let's see if I can create it." The reason I became
involved in linux audio development is because I like making music with
linux, and also, DSP algorithms are *cool*.

Jeremy