Re: [LAD] What do you do for a living?

From: Loki Davison <loki.davison@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 12 2010 - 01:38:20 EET

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Kris C <cpczk@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I understand that a lot of you develop for free software and are passionate
> at what you do.  But how do you pay the bills?  What do you do for a living?
>  Are you a student?  Do you do software development just as a hobby, or do
> you want to make a living doing this kind of work?

Hey :)

I'm a scientist (mostly maths / ai and comp. sci.) working for a
commercial mathematics company called Biarri. I think i have an
amazingly awesome job. www.biarri.com
Get to do something different every day, great team and lots of
freedom and almost no bullshit bingo buzzword crap that seems to
common. My last few jobs were pretty crappy but this one rocks. :)

> very well.  Yeah, I'd like to work for Google, but who doesn't right? :)

Not me. Biarri over Google any day. I'm not a big fan of being, to
quote Stalin, a little cog. I find small companies a lot more
unreliable and random but more exciting. As far as free software goes
though i've moved away from doing anything really. I spend my free
time with my band and my guitar. :)

Loki