Re: [LAD] What do you do for a living?

From: Hans Wilmers <hanswil@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 22 2010 - 12:34:18 EET

On Wednesday 10 November 2010 04:17:24 Kris C wrote:
> I understand that a lot of you develop for free software and are
> passionate at what you do. But how do you pay the bills? What do you
> do for a living? Are you a student? Do you do software development
> just as a hobby, or do you want to make a living doing this kind of work?

I work at 2 places: NOTAM, where I work with musicians that need some
kind of experimental electronics. Typical the projects we run are
covering both the musical and the technological domain, and sometimes go
in direction of applied research, but always with focus on the music
involved. I take care of the hardware related stuff and some software,
and get to work with musicians that know their stuff. I am very happy
with this setup.

The other place is my own small business www.wilmers.no, where I develop
measuring equipment for environmental monitoring, mainly for wind power
projects. In both places, I use microcontrollers without OS and bigger
systems (embedded or PC) running Linux. But I live with the conflict of
being open with everything at NOTAM, while creating closed source in my
own business. An interesting conflict actually, as I experience that
Linux is a great base for both concepts. In my view, that explains a
part of the tremendous development in the past few years.

/ Hans

Hans Wilmers
NOTAM
Nedre Gate 5