Re: [LAD] What do you do for a living?

From: nescivi <nescivi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 21 2010 - 16:31:32 EET

Hiho,

On Wednesday 10 November 2010 04:17:24 Kris C wrote:
> I understand that a lot of you develop for free software and are
> passionate at what you do. But how do you pay the bills? What do you
> do for a living? Are you a student? Do you do software development
> just as a hobby, or do you want to make a living doing this kind of work?

I recently exchanged academics for the "freelance artist/programmer/making
things life", while still keeping one foot inside academics (and inside
Canada)...
Up to now it's mostly been investing in setting up my own shop, but seeing
that my agenda keeps filling itself up with mostly paid and interesting jobs,
involving traveling to more or less exotic places and meeting interesting
people, I have confidence that it will succeed to make a modest living.

sincerely,
Marije