Re: [LAD] [OT] Richard Stallman warns against ChromeOS

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Thu Dec 16 2010 - 04:21:04 EET

On Wed, 2010-12-15 at 22:09 +0100, Arnold Krille wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 December 2010 21:50:19 David Olofson wrote:
> > On Wednesday 15 December 2010, at 19.56.04, Arnold Krille
> > <arnold@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > > Some months back fbi had to admit that current encryption is to good for
> > > them. After a year of trying they returned a hard-disk (which Mexican
> > > police asked them to decrypt) admitting they couldn't do anything to get
> > > the data... Went through fefe's blog...
> >
> > ...or maybe the files were just truly random noise from an analog source?
> > ;-)
> >
> > ...or the FBI just *said* they couldn't do it, to lull us all into a false
> > sense of security.
>
> Lets take a rational view: Most probably that hard-disk was connected with
> crime. And as it was Mexico, it would most probably be drugs. If they really
> did manage to break the encryption, someone in the chain would have said
> something about "thanks to the fbi we know from that hard-disk"...
>
> Staying rational, I don't think fbi/nsa/cia have enough money to fund years of
> research for quantum computing, producing working results capable of cracking
> todays hardest encryptions and not have anyone talk.

A note, the bikers I know do have a saying: "Somebody always is
watching" ... this means that if you just smash somebodies face, there
will be a witness, that you didn't notice.

I'm sure, this saying can be extended to "Somebody always will talk,
especially when there is the offer, to be or not to be in a Mexican
jail ;).

> Not that it wouldn't be
> possible given enough money, I just don't think they would have managed to
> spent enough money on this.
>
> If you speak German, read the blog from udo vetter (lawblog.de) and watch his
> talk on the ccc-congress where he (and several people from the audience) gave
> every-day testimonials of encrypted hard-discs where law-enforcement didn't
> get any valid data from.

I'll do so, ASAP :).