Re: [LAD] [OT] Richard Stallman warns against ChromeOS

From: David Olofson <david@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 17 2010 - 01:11:02 EET

On Thursday 16 December 2010, at 23.39.21, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-
dsl.net> wrote:
[...]
> Aaaaaaaaaaargh, I had an amp from an established company, can't remember
> this company, everything was connected by wire-wrapping, so indeed a
> good discrete circuit, but the wire-wrapping did cause defects. Btw. I
> prefer good old leaded solder, but leaded solder in Germany isn't
> allowed anymore. We should start to wire-wrap all electronic devices for
> our politicians here :p.

Wire-wrapping... *hehe*

For my university project (some puny 15 years ago ;-), I decided to have some
serious fun, and designed a MIDI synthesizer around a 68HC11, a battery backed
RAM, some EEPROM and three 8580 (newer SID) chips. 700 pins, all wire-wrapped.
And it even worked! :-)

Actually, it's quite swift and effective method; it's the cutting and
stripping of the wires that's a PITA, unless you have a really good tool -
which I didn't at the time! :-D

--
//David Olofson - Consultant, Developer, Artist, Open Source Advocate
.--- Games, examples, libraries, scripting, sound, music, graphics ---.