Re: [LAD] [OT] Richard Stallman warns against ChromeOS

From: Dan Mills <dmills@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 17 2010 - 01:24:34 EET

On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 00:11 +0100, David Olofson wrote:

> Actually, it's quite swift and effective method; it's the cutting and
> stripping of the wires that's a PITA, unless you have a really good
> tool - which I didn't at the time! :-D

Yep a good tool makes all the difference as does using a modified wrap
(two turns insulated the rest not) and being smart about the order you
stack wraps (link every other pair of pins on a bus then link between
the pairs, that way changes require re doing very much less wiring).

Nothing wrong with a correctly done wirewrap from a reliability
standpoint either, do it right it is better then solder!

Now I will grant that it is EASY to stuff up in numerous ways (Using the
wrong pin profile is the classic, you need the square pins to generate
the pressure at the corners to give a good gas tight join, wirewrap on
things like resistor or capacitor leads will fail **Quickly**.

Are you sure you cannot get leaded solder? It cannot be used in
equipment to be brought to market in the EU (with certain exceptions),
but it is certainly still available over here in the UK for rework and
prototyping, I would be somewhat surprised if .de was different.

Regards, Dan.