Re: [LAD] [OT] Richard Stallman warns against ChromeOS

From: gene heskett <gheskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 17 2010 - 02:21:55 EET

On Thursday, December 16, 2010 07:15:52 pm David Olofson did opine:

> On Thursday 16 December 2010, at 23.39.21, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden- dsl.net> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Aaaaaaaaaaargh, I had an amp from an established company, can't
> > remember this company, everything was connected by wire-wrapping, so
> > indeed a good discrete circuit, but the wire-wrapping did cause
> > defects. Btw. I prefer good old leaded solder, but leaded solder in
> > Germany isn't allowed anymore. We should start to wire-wrap all
> > electronic devices for our politicians here :p.
>
> Wire-wrapping... *hehe*
>
> For my university project (some puny 15 years ago ;-), I decided to have
> some serious fun, and designed a MIDI synthesizer around a 68HC11, a
> battery backed RAM, some EEPROM and three 8580 (newer SID) chips. 700
> pins, all wire-wrapped. And it even worked! :-)
>
> Actually, it's quite swift and effective method; it's the cutting and
> stripping of the wires that's a PITA, unless you have a really good tool
> - which I didn't at the time! :-D

The quality of the wrapped connection depended on two items. First was the
quality and corner sharpness of the pins, and there were some real crap out
there being sold by name brands I won't mention, and the color of the wire.
The red wires colored dye would eat the wire in two in 5 years time. It
was the same dye that caused the wholesale failures of millions of mike
cords on cow barn radios back in the day. The copper of the wire turned
ugly brown and it got so brittle that it was not repairable. I started
shopping around looking for a suitable replacement cable, and experimented
with quite a few that claimed _their_ dyes didn't do that, but they all
lied, a lot.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)