Re: [LAD] [OT] Richard Stallman warns against ChromeOS

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri Dec 17 2010 - 13:41:35 EET

On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 06:26 -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> On Friday, December 17, 2010 06:13:53 am Ralf Mardorf did opine:
>
> > On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 05:57 -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> > > On Friday, December 17, 2010 05:52:17 am Ralf Mardorf did opine:

> > > I'll have to call you on that one, Ralf. It was some of your folks
> > > that invented the wire recorder in about '38 or '39, and the coated
> > > paper tape was sometime in the later 40's. I was born in '34.
> >
> > I corrected myself, it's just because you're looking younger on your
> > photos ;).
>
> Of course I do, that pic on my front page is 6 years old now. ;-)
>
> > Of cause, I guess the Telefunk - or was it AEG? - machines
> > were without tubes. The magnetic tape head had visible slots.
>
> The first Telefunken wire, or tape machines I saw, were definitely tubes.
> And older types at that, 8 pin octal based stuff. Yes folks, I have been
> chasing electrons for a living for a long time. And TBT, my first
> experience with a wire machine was enough to break me of any further
> interest. No amount of level winding contraptions could stop the
> backlashes & broken wire. Not to mention the head wear rate was very high.
> At least we could get 200-400 hours out of the first tape heads if we fed
> then plastic tape. Wire, maybe 50 hours as the wire sawed them deeply in
> just a few hours.
>
> > Because the tapes were stored spooled to the end, there even was no
> > audible crosstalk at the beginning of the recordings.
>
> Print through was a real problem in the early years.

Ah, it's called "print through" on English. It still was a problem for
the last tape cassette recorders ;). The GDR did build audio and
computer equipment that was durable at very high quality, but I guess
just people like me, born in the FRD could pay for it and btw. it was
very cheap here in western Germany. I'm using GDR's RFT B3010 HIFI as
near field monitors. 50,- EUR a pair at Ebay. It would be hard to get
that quality for 500,- EUR when buying today's near field monitors.