Re: [LAD] [OT] Richard Stallman warns against ChromeOS

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 17 2010 - 13:48:34 EET

On Friday 17 December 2010 10:36:47 Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> I guess it really depends on what you try to achieve. Afaik the average
> life-span of a HD is puny 2 years. From what I heard the magnetic tapes
> used by for example ESA a long time ago have a life-span of 80 years. If
> 'store it good and forget' is what you're after then tape seems like a
> good idea.

If you want long-time storage of information, the only thing that has proven
stable so far is (micro-)film or print to paper (with laser-printer).
Its no use when the tape holds the information for 80 years when the drives
and connected hardware are obsolete and out-of-production after max of 20
years...

Have fun,

Arnold