Re: [LAD] Devs needed for opensource virtual analog softsynth idea

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 07 2011 - 16:01:17 EET

On 01/06/2011 08:57 AM, Sascha Schneider wrote:
> Hi Loki,
>
> 2011/1/6 Loki Davison <loki.davison@email-addr-hidden>:
>> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 12:35 AM, Sascha Schneider
>> <ungleichklang@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> inspired by a plan of a german onlinemag called amazona.de
>>> I came up with the idea that a virtual analogue opensource softsynth
>>> nativly running on Linux
>>> would be really nice. (a nice filterbank too, but thats another thing)
>>> Amazona planned a complete synth based on userpolls (only in german, sorry):
>>> http://www.amazona.de/index.php?page=26&file=2&article_id=3191
>>> which is now realized as vst: (only german, too)
>>> http://www.amazona.de/index.php?page=26&file=2&article_id=3202
>>>
>>> I know that Zynaddsubfx/yoshimi has a really strong soundengine and I
>>> asked myself,
>>> if it would be possible to take this engine or the DSSI-API and build
>>> a polyphonic softsynth
>>> with a nice UI like the new calf plugins or guitarix, a bit like the
>>> loomer aspect, with some discoDSP,
>>> a bit from the Tyrell or the Roland Gaia SH-01 with midilearn, ......
>>>
>>> The problem I have are my programming skills, that are not good enough
>>> to code this kind of software
>>> by myself.
>>>
>>> Are there some LAD's willing to join/take/realise this idea??
>>> If there is interest I could translate the ideas of amazona.de and we
>>> all could share our visions for a
>>> new kind of controllable virtual analogue softsynth.
>>>
>>> kind regards, saschas
>>>

>> You do have the required skills, just need to choose the right tool.
>>
> Actually that is my problem, my terrain till now was more in
> Webdevelopment - CMS-CRM, custom modules
> I did Java and Python, mainly object oriented.
> Most synth apps I see in Linux are coded in C, at least the engine,
> and stuff like pointers really don't fit into my brain .. might be my
> age ...

Something for a rainy afternoon:
http://cslibrary.stanford.edu/102/PointersAndMemory.pdf

Just reading Page 3 and 5 of the PDF should make it clear.

"There's a lot of nice, tidy code you can write without knowing about
pointers. But once you learn to use the power of pointers, you can never
go back."

As for JAVA: there's a concept like C/C++ pointers it's called
"references". Pointers are also common in many scripting langs. e.g in
PHP using '&variable' or the backslash operator in perl.

A bit over-simplified: These two main reason why some programming
languages are not suitable to write *reliable* audio-engines:
 - Memory allocation can not be done in real-time.
 - Some scripting langs (f.i. python) have a global lock (meaning
program execution can block and wait for some event - causing audio drop
out).

Besides C/C++ provides for fine-grained optimizations (such as binding
variables to CPU registers).

>> User Ingen. It is far too awesome to describe in simple words. :)
>> http://drobilla.net/blog/software/ingen/
>>

> I will have a look at that ...
>> Loki
>>
> regards, Sascha

A higher level programming environment - e.g. http://faust.grame.fr/
does abstract many many gory details, but I don't know if the right tool
for the job at hand.

2c,
robin