Re: [LAD] OpenOctaveMidi2 (OOM2) beta release

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 27 2011 - 21:35:07 EET

On Thursday 27 January 2011 17:51:26 Raymond Martin wrote:
> On January 27, 2011 11:08:30 am Paul Davis wrote:
> > while i admire what you are trying to do with OOM/OOM2, the forking of
> > an existing, well-known project, without any attribution whatsoever,
> > or even acknowledgement of the fork, is troubling to say the least.
> It is not troubling at all. And completely in accord with licenses, the
> only real thing that matters.

I am _so_ glad the ideas of open source are not only about licenses...

> > if you had done this with ardour, i'd be raising bloody hell about it.
>
> And you would have no right to say anything actually as long as the license
> was adhered to.

He would have the right to be pissed (and quite rightly so). Taking and
modifying someone elses work and not giving credit is troubling. Even if you
adhered to the license and didn't change the copyright notices...

> Any complaint that has nothing to do with licenses is just
> moralizing.

Which is exactly what Paul Davis was talking about.

> I think we can all do without any of that noise, thank you.
> Nobody has to thank you for your work. They might, but it is not required.
> Since you choose to put it out as FOSS this is exactly what you have agreed
> to.

Strictly speaking in the term of laws you are correct. But as we gladly do not
live in a world exclusively ruled by laws, there is more to it than what the
gpl says.

And FOSS is not only about a license. It is about giving credit where credit
is due (otherwise the license would just be the famous "public domain" or "non
commercial public domain" or something like that).

But funnily enough while you accused Paul Davis of anger, it became clear to
the whole list (and the world internet) that in fact you guys have a big
problem with paul and his work. So much you read personal things into
everything he says...
BTW: He probably wouldn't have a problem with it if your website reads
"Because ardour broke on us and the devs didn't want to do what we wanted, we
choose to fork muse". But apparently you have such a big problem with it that
even that is for you to much acknowledgment of pauls work...

Anyway good luck with your project. Always sign of a good start when not
technical facts but personal reasons made you start it...

Have fun,

Arnold