Re: [LAD] [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 22 2011 - 14:18:39 EET

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 09:14:31PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 6:12 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > This excludes Windows (TM), but again, I couln't care less.
>
> It also excludes OS X, which despite having "X11 support" isn't really
> what you mean by "supports X11".

You can run X11 apps in OSX. So you can have the host side of a plugin
library that is an X11 client.

But I think you are missing the point: it's not focussing on X11.
It is simply that the only interaction between a host and a plugin
(for what regards their visual integration) should be the lowest
common level between the toolsets each of then uses and not anything
that is a private type of either . For current toolkits (on Linux)
this an X11 window ID. It's all plugin needs in order to know where
on the screen it should go. And the rest it can do itself.

If the underlying layer is not X11 this is just the same. Every
system needs some abstraction of 'an area of the screen that is
managed as a basic unit'. In X11 that is represented by a window
ID, in other systems it will be something similar.

> at some point, focusing on X11 will also start to exclude the next
> generation of linux UI systems which are not going to be X11 (even
> though they are re-using a lot of the internal code and can host X11
> windows). once you've seen them in action, i think that even you will
> be a believer :) I'm talking primarily about Wayland
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_%28display_server_protocol%29

ATM it doesn't even provide network transparancy. Which means you can't
even do the equivalent of ssh -X.

Ciao,

--
FA