Re: [LAD] [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

From: Tom Szilagyi <tomszilagyi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 22 2011 - 15:07:20 EET

On 22 February 2011 13:45, Nick Copeland <nickycopeland@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> ATM it doesn't even provide network transparency. Which means you can't
>> even do the equivalent of ssh -X.
>
> Does anybody even use this feature anymore?

All the time. It is an essential remote administration tool in the
UNIX (increasingly Linux) world. I have no idea how I could live
without it.

> It is another pet beef, though. Most Linux desktop distributions disable the
> TCP connections to the X server anyway so the features of '-X' are rendered
> obsolete.

And I always enable it back when this happens...

> There are naturally good reasons for this: if audio people are concerned
> about
> system security aspects of RT_PRIO and SCHED_FIFO/RR then the TCP access
> issues are an even greater concern. Based on the fact that a generation of
> users don't see the point, windows doesn't do it, iOS doesn't do it then
> there is
> not a lot of point that Linux carry the flag for a solution to a problem
> that
> people don't have anymore.

At least once in the recent past I used Ardour over ssh -X (over a
fast network) to make use of a relatively powerful remote machine I
was using for testing.

Security issues are IMO better handled by a separate firewall between
you and the internet - in your own LAN, why not enable TCP access? It
already saved my butt more than once. Windows doesn't do it - so what?
Are we going to downgrade all our tools? Mind you, Windows doesn't
even ship with a compiler.

Tom