Re: [LAD] [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 22 2011 - 15:11:23 EET

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 01:45:35PM +0100, Nick Copeland wrote:

> > ATM it doesn't even provide network transparency. Which means you can't
> > even do the equivalent of ssh -X.
>
> Does anybody even use this feature anymore?
>
> It is another pet beef, though. Most Linux desktop distributions disable the
> TCP connections to the X server anyway so the features of '-X' are rendered
> obsolete.

You're mixing up thing here. Most systems do indeed disable direct connections
to the X server (for good reasons) and expect you to use ssh -X instead.

> Based on the fact that a generation of users don't see the point,
> windows doesn't do it, iOS doesn't do it then there is
> not a lot of point that Linux carry the flag for a solution to a problem that
> people don't have anymore.

So what do you do if you want to run apps on system A (probably headless)
and have it display on system B ? Dedicated 'remote' versions or web interfaces
(ROTFL) for each and every of them ? I'm writing this mail logged in to a system
that is located in a different continent and I don't even notice it.

If 'a generation of users' is any reference, we should just forget about
Linux, switch to Windows and call it a day. We should also eat only fast
food, believe everything the TV news and ads tell us, hate strangers and
homosexuals, and generally be ignorant about everything. There's probably
no argument more irrelevant than this sort of populist ones.

Ciao,

--
FA