Re: [LAD] [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

From: Nick Copeland <nickycopeland@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 22 2011 - 15:46:35 EET

> You're mixing up thing here. Most systems do indeed disable direct connections
> to the X server (for good reasons) and expect you to use ssh -X instead.

> > Based on the fact that a generation of users don't see the point,
> > windows doesn't do it, iOS doesn't do it then there is
> > not a lot of point that Linux carry the flag for a solution to a problem that
> > people don't have anymore.
>
> So what do you do if you want to run apps on system A (probably headless)
> and have it display on system B ? Dedicated 'remote' versions or web interfaces
> (ROTFL) for each and every of them ? I'm writing this mail logged in to a system
> that is located in a different continent and I don't even notice it.

Fons, you are tripping up over your own arguments here. Firstly you state that a
well written app should divorce itself from the underlying medium, then you are
arguing that they actually should be using the underlying X11 to be able to be a
distributed app. This is a contradiction and, for example, just because I know
about this app and how it works, bristol can work headless without X11 as it takes
an abstract transport layer in a similar way to the one you are arguing both for and
against. You simply do not need X11 for distributed processing or at least if you are
dependent on it then, as you state yourself, your solution is badly written.

> If 'a generation of users' is any reference, we should just forget about
> Linux, switch to Windows and call it a day. We should also eat only fast
> food, believe everything the TV news and ads tell us, hate strangers and
> homosexuals, and generally be ignorant about everything. There's probably
> no argument more irrelevant than this sort of populist ones.

Sarky today. My point is that a generation of users is used to not having to rely
on as banal and cumbersome a method as that offered by X11 to distribute their
processing - there are other ways it is being done.

To come back to the original thread, X11 is very old in the tooth. It is based on
assumptions that are not longer valid and the result is a pretty cumbersome
solution. It was written before reasonable foundations for distributed computing
were really put in place. People have been whitening its teeth and giving it a shave
here and there to try and make it appear spruce but that does not detract from the
fact that it is an ever older horse that at some point has to go to the knackers yard.

And you are busy putting down the initiatives that may offer an eventual alternative
by unencumbering themselves? So now who is proposing ignorant arguments? There
is a whole load of changes taking place at the moment and adopting them is going to
be more a effective solution than sitting there like King Canute.

Kind regards, nick.