Re: [LAD] LAD Activity (WAS: [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb)

From: Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 23 2011 - 15:01:10 EET

On 2/23/11, Philipp Überbacher wrote:

> I do live behind the moon when it comes to web technology, but isn't rss
> meant for notifications? Maybe simpler, email?

Nope. I'll elaborate below.

> If it needs a social networking thing for some reason, maybe diaspora
> will do the trick? With diaspora chances are better that someone will
> write a good user interface of some sort.

Yes, diaspora is much closer to what's required.

> Right now github and the likes seems to be used as a social network
> thing among developers, but I don't think it's a good idea to rely on
> such a service for communication.

Yes, a good idea IMO would be a service on top of existing service
like github, twitter etc. They all expose API after all, no?

Now, here is why rss, email et al don't do a good work enough: they
don't provide perspective and they don't expose connections between
people right away. I've served several years as social hub for free
graphics software developers and I can tell you that while email and
Jabber and IRC and whatnot, as well as F2F meetings at LGM, LAC etc
are the ultimate communication means, it's very important to stay
tuned to all things happening. For same reason I woudn't limit such a
dream service to audio developers, because audio is related to video
(audio effects in NLE, JACK compatibility), and video is related to
things like static graphics and video drivers (likewise audio is
related to kernel, ALSA and FFADO), and so it all is intertwined.

AFAIK, Linux.com was supposed to become a kind of social service.
Maybe it's worth investigating what their plans are.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org