Re: [LAD] LAD Activity (WAS: [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb)

From: Stefano D'Angelo <zanga.mail@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 25 2011 - 20:32:37 EET

2011/2/23 Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine@email-addr-hidden>:
> Now, here is why rss, email et al don't do a good work enough: they
> don't provide perspective and they don't expose connections between
> people right away. I've served several years as social hub for free
> graphics software developers and I can tell you that while email and
> Jabber and IRC and whatnot, as well as F2F meetings at LGM, LAC etc
> are the ultimate communication means, it's very important to stay
> tuned to all things happening. For same reason I woudn't limit such a
> dream service to audio developers, because audio is related to video
> (audio effects in NLE, JACK compatibility), and video is related to
> things like static graphics and video drivers (likewise audio is
> related to kernel, ALSA and FFADO), and so it all is intertwined.

That is more or less the point IMO. Yet I see the two sides of the
coin: on one side people don't blog about what they are doing since a.
it's too demanding (here micro-blogging kind of things would help) and
b. if what they did is not yet in a presentable state they won't talk
about it. I think it would be better to have some kind of very
informal service instead for "internal use only" (with this I don't
mean it shouldn't be public).

The main problem from another developer's perspective however is
different: I want to know who is working on what, so I don't really
need an "activity stream", but rather something that is organized in
some way (timestamps may help however). E.g., I want to know who is
working on LV2 hosts, who is working on audio programming languages,
etc. It would be cool if a search could be done on a tag-basis, so to
avoid useless hierarchies. The two things (activity stream and
"organized content", let's say) are not mutually exclusive, yet I
don't know of any such service.

Coming back to earth, I think a wiki would be fine if people get
involved... but they won't, I'm pretty sure... unless it gets big
enough (good night!)

(Jabber/XMPP is a case apart, I think it is a superior kind of thing,
since it can be quite easily integrated into whatever service you may
offer... but this is all another story?).

> AFAIK, Linux.com was supposed to become a kind of social service.
> Maybe it's worth investigating what their plans are.

Didn't know about it, that would be great (or maybe not?)

Stefano

P.S.: unanimous consent and/or LAD endorsement is not needed to start
doing something like this, but at the moment I have other
priorities... I was just hoping that it could inspire/motivate
somebody else. At least the idea stands here in the ml archives as a
form of minuting (recursively, with such a service the idea would
always be there :-P)