Re: [LAD] RDF libraries, was Re: [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

From: David Robillard <d@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 25 2011 - 20:33:00 EET

On Thu, 2011-02-24 at 10:48 +0000, Chris Cannam wrote:
> On 23 February 2011 23:55, David Robillard <d@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > They're all in my LAD meta-repository:
>
> Ah, externals.
>
> LGPL I see -- I've no problem with that in principle, but it would
> complicate matters a bit (both Dataquay and Redland being BSD).

I switched Serd and Sord to 2-clause BSD. Enjoy. The license header is
bigger and uglier and has a bunch of lawyer boiler-plate yelling in it,
which I am not aesthetically please with at all... :)

This made me notice something though: lv2.h itself is LGPL (inherited
from ladspa.h). So, if you're implementing an LV2 host there's
inherently LGPL involved anyway.

I am fully on the pro-GPL card-carrying FSF member team (Affero GPL3 it
all, comrades!), but a decent argument could be made for lv2.h having a
more liberal license, since it just defines an interface which we want
implemented as widely as possible...

That said, I can't think of an actual reason why LGPL complicates
matters...

-dr