Re: [LAD] libsuil

From: David Robillard <d@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 23 2011 - 23:27:19 EET

On Wed, 2011-02-23 at 20:11 +0000, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> On 02/23/2011 07:37 PM, David Robillard wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-02-23 at 19:03 +0000, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> >>
> >> anyway, i'm still looking forward to this libsuil project, by all means
> >> an excellent effort. sincerely agree that it will do a lot better than
> >> the current lv2_gtk_ui situation.
> >
> > No future tense required, there it is. Make it happen. If I had a Qt
> > host to test with right now, I'd make sure Gtk2-in-Qt4 actually works,
> > release, and that's that.
> >
> > That said, I think I will just modify the SLV2 API accordingly so you
> > don't have to use Suil directly, so maybe wait a day (but switching
> > would be easy, and the sooner I have something to test with, the sooner
> > this problem is solved, so don't let that stop you).
> >

> i won't :)
>
> one question,
>
> (btw, i know my english is weird, even on my mothers language i'm lousy:)
>
> are you saying that this suil api will get it implicit and integrated
> into slv2? in a matter of days? i've looked into the "suil.h" and it
> makes perfect sense...

Well, I'm just thinking it might be a bit less of a hassle, and make
doing the right thing extremely easy/obvious, if SLV2 just had a
function like suil_instance_new. It also allows me to deprecate (or just
outright remove) the old SLV2UIInstance stuff which encourages the wrong
thing (poking through the UIs and instantiating them yourself, i.e.
caring about toolkits).

The independent suil API is just slightly more annoying because you have
to take your SLV2UIs and stick its contents in a SuilUIs... it's just a
little loop, not a huge deal, but it's not pretty. Have one Do The Right
Thing UI instantiation function in SLV2 is nice and idiot-proof, but
perhaps the dependency isn't worth it.

I could, of course, just literally implement all of this in SLV2 itself,
but I figured a zero-dependency library would be a good thing, and in
general I like to keep UI things separate...

> yep, i might arrange some time to test this gtk2_in_qt4 stuff (granted i
> don't fall into wafhell over more than a week-end ;))

From the user POV it's the usual pkg-config routine.

(I can't even begin to describe what a relief it is to trade up to the
sensible prettiness of waf and escape the convoluted layer upon
convoluted layer of inconsistent fugly line noise that is autohell, but
that's another conversation entirely)

-dr