Re: [LAD] [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

From: David Robillard <d@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 25 2011 - 19:50:24 EET

On Fri, 2011-02-25 at 00:34 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 06:47:10PM -0500, David Robillard wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2011-02-24 at 21:39 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> > > On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 12:20:44AM +0300, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > This is absolutely true for the one I referred to.
> >
> > As absolutely true as when I say the obviously terrible software
> > architecture / design decisions that come out of certain DSP heads
> > are... well, obvious terrible to anyone who actually knows what they are
> > doing in that field?
>
> That could very well be the case.
>
> With N >= 1000:
> There are some things I know about, N times more things I'm
> interested in, know a little about and want to learn more,
> and again N times more I don't know anything about. That's
> life.

Indeed.

> Now I'm here, I do have a question. And please just take it
> for what it is and don't look for anything behind it as there
> isn't anything.
>
> How did you arrive at the name 'ingen' ?

Mainly, INstrument GENerator, and the fact that it's like "engine".

> This evening I happened to stumble on an episode of 'Midsommer
> Murders', a famous English detective TV series, on Youtube.
> Strangely enough it had Swedish (I think) subtitles. From which
> I learned that 'ingen' is Swedish for 'no, nobody, nothing' or
> similar...
>
> Again, that's not meant to be a comment on your program, just
> curious.

Yeah, if I had a nickel for every time that's been mentioned to me I
wouldn't have to beg for donations anymore :)

I actually like the connection in a way, since the whole point of Ingen
is to be a minimal framework in which to wire up generic plugins to do
what you want. The plugins are the rock stars, Ingen is just the stage.
I also have a penchant for Zen, and there's certainly no thing wrong
with no thing ;)

It's also the company in Jurassic Park. One day I'll make it to #1
Google hit. One day!

-dr