Re: [LAD] RDF libraries, was Re: [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

From: Olivier Guilyardi <list@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 25 2011 - 22:21:19 EET

On 02/25/2011 08:59 PM, Stefano D'Angelo wrote:

>> The thing about Android is that third-party plugins should be rather feasible.
>> There are simple mechanisms which could easily allow a host to discover which
>> plugins are installed on the system. Such plugins could be distributed as
>> standalone packages (APK) on the Android Market.
>
> Yes, I don't know the details of those mechanisms, but after seeing
> how Flash is distributed as an APK and integrates into the browser, I
> was thinking something along those lines too.

The keywords are Intent filters, Content Providers, Services. These can be used
for dynamic plugin discovery.

>> There are a couple of security issues with linking about a third-party .so though.
>
> True.

> However, my question about this Android/LV2 possibility is: what for? Any ideas?

In my case, it's intended to provide effects for my app, TapeMachine:
http://tapemachine.samalyse.com/

Users are requesting effects.

Also, I think that Android is quite unique (amongst popular mobile platforms)
when it comes to providing a high-level of inter-operability between apps, such
as here in the case of plugins.

And now I need to go, I'm late and a friend of mine is giving a concert.

Cheers,

--
  Olivier