Re: [LAD] RDF libraries, was Re: [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

From: Giuseppe Zompatori <siliconjoe@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 27 2011 - 14:55:06 EET

2011/2/27 Stefano D'Angelo <zanga.mail@email-addr-hidden>:

> Ciao Giuseppe,

Ciao Stefano,

> In the FAQ they say it's actually some sort of preamp... but well, I
> can't provide hardware anyway.

I was merely pointing it out as I don't think there is currently any
other way to do it.
Connecting the guitar directly to the phone with a simple plug adapter
would probably sound meh.
Unless Google wants to add support for external USB sound cards to Android? ;)

> I don't even know if I would charge for such plug-ins and/or release
> them as closed source. Ideally, I would release them under GPL and
> accept donations, but have no idea really. Actually there are a couple
> of plug-ins I could really charge for since they are really beyond
> state of the art and suitable for scientific publications (indeed,
> that's why I'm developing them). They are physics-based simulators: a
> fully parametric tube amp + eq + output transformer + loudspeaker +
> air impedance, and a couple of diode clippers (one is
> tubescreamer-like) - still some pieces are missing at the moment (new
> triode model in the making, oversampling not yet in place, opamp model
> not yet serious).

Sounds cool, I recently bought one of those beasts (
http://www.fractalaudio.com/products-fa-axefx.html ), and I think it's
amazing, hands down the best amp modeling I've ever heard (and amazing
effects too!) demos are here
http://www.fractalaudio.com/experience.html

It also does model the power stage section (power tubes->output
transformer<->cabinet interaction) and exposes many parameters to the
user, like tubes bias, negative feedback amount (if any), sag, B+
filtering/capacitance, even speaker distortion etc.
I'd be happy to compare your plug-ins to the Axe-FX ;)

I would personally prefer desktop LV2 versions of your plug-ins, they
could always be ported later to Android if it's going to be worth the
effort.
And I would prefer GPL'ed plug-ins and be willing to donate, I don't
think there are many options right now on Linux, I dislike rakarrack
and guitar_ix, and find CAPS* so so.

> However, correct me if I am wrong, I don't think most Android
> platforms would be suitable for live processing (latency), but only
> for recording (what about quality?).

Can't help you there, sorry. I have a cheap entry level HTC Tattoo and
it's slow as molasses. Haven't even attempted to install any audio
related apps. It might be feasible on higher end droid phones though
provided the audio API allows it, I just don't know. I think there has
been a recent discussion about realtime audio apps on Android on LAU
if I am not mistaken, you might want to search for it.

Sorry for the OT.

Ciao,

-Giuseppe