Re: [LAD] RDF libraries, was Re: [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

From: Stefano D'Angelo <zanga.mail@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 27 2011 - 15:13:22 EET

2011/2/27 Giuseppe Zompatori <siliconjoe@email-addr-hidden>:
> 2011/2/27 Stefano D'Angelo <zanga.mail@email-addr-hidden>:
>>

>> Ciao Giuseppe,
>
> Ciao Stefano,
>

>> In the FAQ they say it's actually some sort of preamp... but well, I
>> can't provide hardware anyway.
>
> I was merely pointing it out as I don't think there is currently any
> other way to do it.
> Connecting the guitar directly to the phone with a simple plug adapter
> would probably sound meh.
> Unless Google wants to add support for external USB sound cards to Android? ;)

Oh well. :-)

>> I don't even know if I would charge for such plug-ins and/or release
>> them as closed source. Ideally, I would release them under GPL and
>> accept donations, but have no idea really. Actually there are a couple
>> of plug-ins I could really charge for since they are really beyond
>> state of the art and suitable for scientific publications (indeed,
>> that's why I'm developing them). They are physics-based simulators: a
>> fully parametric tube amp + eq + output transformer + loudspeaker +
>> air impedance, and a couple of diode clippers (one is
>> tubescreamer-like) - still some pieces are missing at the moment (new
>> triode model in the making, oversampling not yet in place, opamp model
>> not yet serious).
>>

> Sounds cool, I recently bought one of those beasts (
> http://www.fractalaudio.com/products-fa-axefx.html ), and I think it's
> amazing, hands down the best amp modeling I've ever heard (and amazing
> effects too!) demos are here
> http://www.fractalaudio.com/experience.html
>
> It also does model the power stage section (power tubes->output
> transformer<->cabinet interaction) and exposes many parameters to the
> user, like tubes bias, negative feedback amount (if any), sag, B+
> filtering/capacitance, even speaker distortion etc.
> I'd be happy to compare your plug-ins to the Axe-FX ;)

Well... they seem to have a lot of stuff there. :-)

However, I wonder how they do it... I think they are probably using
some black box modeling, since multiple nonlinearities+feedback in a
single system is very hard to model.

The kind of stuff I'm trying to do is accurately model a class A amp
with a single triode using white box techniques... to give you an idea
of what it sounds like see this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdNtmaIdLdo - it is part of my MSc
thesis presentation (100.000 lire guitar, dated and slow laptop, cheap
speaker and cheap camera... only the sound card is good).

I guess you speak Italian (at least your name suggests that), so enjoy
my weird southern accent. :-P

> I would personally prefer desktop LV2 versions of your plug-ins, they
> could always be ported later to Android if it's going to be worth the
> effort.

Sure, that would be the path to follow.

> And I would prefer GPL'ed plug-ins and be willing to donate, I don't
> think there are many options right now on Linux, I dislike rakarrack
> and guitar_ix, and find CAPS* so so.

Well, they say guitarix has improved, yet the last time I was all but
satisfied with it. You may want to take a look at invada plugins, if
you haven't already.

>> However, correct me if I am wrong, I don't think most Android
>> platforms would be suitable for live processing (latency), but only
>> for recording (what about quality?).
>
> Can't help you there, sorry. I have a cheap entry level HTC Tattoo and
> it's slow as molasses. Haven't even attempted to install any audio
> related apps. It might be feasible on higher end droid phones though
> provided the audio API allows it, I just don't know. I think there has
> been a recent discussion about realtime audio apps on Android on LAU
> if I am not mistaken, you might want to search for it.

Ok, thanks.

Stammi bene,

Stefano