Re: [LAD] [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 27 2011 - 15:19:28 EET

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 06:21:29AM -0500, Thomas Vecchione wrote:

> Fons replied off list and we discussed his example some, The situations was
> similar to what i had thought, where a 4 point edit was one possible way to
> do it, but far from the only.solution, and probably wouldn't be what I
> personally used.

Exactly, a 4-pt is not the only way to do it, and I'd probably split
it up into two edits anyway unless the part to be replaced was very
short (which happens, I've been replacing single notes in some cases).

What I don't accept is the suggestion that this sort of thing is never
necessary, and that if it is, that is just the result of using the
wrong 'workflow'. So far I haven't seen any alternative 'workflow'
that would actually get the job done.

> The real issue was A2's lack of an ability to move
> automation with regions, which Carl has addressed in A3 IIRC.

Not in this case, as there was no automation. The real issue is
that it is very difficult to move everything to the right of the
edit, in particular if this alternates with trimming the start
point, trimming the end point of the left side, and listening
to the result. It requires constant changing of selections,
and zoom factors. One 'erreur de manip' and something gets
damaged, and if you don't notice that immediately (and very
probably you don't if you are zoomed in) it becomes a nightmare
to repair.

The underlying problem are

1. That everything is 'visual', done by actually moving regions
   and their endpoints on screen (and quite ofter being sure you
   get the right one of these actions is an exercise by itself).

2. That Ardour has no idea at all of what you want to do, it just
   sees a series of individual operations and consequently can't
   provide any support. For example if you want to listen to the
   end of the left part followed by silence, or the start of the
   right part (to trim them), the only way is to move the right
   part away, destroying any tentative edit you may already have.

Ciao,

--
FA