Re: [LAD] Audio effects on Android

From: Stefano D'Angelo <zanga.mail@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 02 2011 - 21:18:35 EET

2011/3/1 Olivier Guilyardi <list@email-addr-hidden>:
>>> Latency is terrible. Expect about 100ms for input and for output as well.
>>
>> Argh!
>>
>>> This
>>> situation is one the main reasons why we created the Andraudio mailing list [1],
>>> dedicated to audio development on Android, but also possible audio stack
>>> patching/improvement.
>>
>> News on the subject are very welcome (perhaps I should subscribe to the ml?)
>
> Yes, you are welcome, it's quite low traffic, but there's already been a few
> useful threads. We also have setup a google code project to share code
> experiments and work on the wiki: http://code.google.com/p/andraudio/

Subscribed.

>>> In the current situation, applying effects in realtime isn't possible on Android
>>> because of such latencies. But it's of course possible for post-processing, and
>>> that's what I'm working on.
>>>
>>> The quality can be rather good. It's nothing like desktop gear, but it's ok for
>>> composing on the go, to catch ideas whenever/wherever they come from, record a
>>> piece of guitar, add some effect, and send it right away to your band...
>>
>> Ok. At least now I know what are the possible use cases.
>
> What I explain above is very relevant to my case. But you can also think about
> advanced sequencers and other innovative music making apps, especially on
> tablets. In such cases, the user is likely to load pre-existing samples or use
> synths, and is therefore not affected by the recording quality.

Sure... actually if I am ever to write synths, I would simulate some
existing (or non-existing) musical instrument... just for the sake of
sharing: I wanted to make simulators of folk/ethno southern italian
instruments (zampogna, ciaramella), but haven't found the time yet.

So, I'm not yet into that.

> You know, the most advanced music apps currently run on iOS, and there is no
> such things as plugins AFAIK. I think that's it's not legally/technically
> feasible to support third-party plugins on iOS. But on desktops, users are very
> familiar with the plugin concept. So to me there's something to do in the mobile
> world, which hasn't been done yet, and which should be possible on Android.

Yes, to me it seems very smart for the diffusion of LV2 to be the
first to get our feet into that.

Stefano