Re: [LAD] Portable user interfaces for LV2 plugins

From: David Robillard <d@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 02 2011 - 21:15:23 EET

On Wed, 2011-03-02 at 19:31 +0100, Olivier Guilyardi wrote:
> On 03/02/2011 06:32 PM, David Robillard wrote:
>
> > Why you are trying to pick apart web UIs in the same email as you're
> > arguing where one size does not fit all I don't know... I want a remote
> > control that works on any device out of the box. It's about as blatantly
> > obvious as anything can be that web is literally the only way to go for
> > that, because the browser is actually on those devices. QED.
> >
> > Do I think /all/ desktop PC hosts and plugin should use it? No. It's for
> > "remote control" things (even if not remote). Is GL good? Yes. I sure
> > wish I used it for the Ingen canvas. Has anyone actually showed up yet
> > who wanted to write a GL UI? No. Unless you're one, talking about it is
> > a waste of time.
>
> My Android audio application is GL based. Right now I see things from a host
> developer, and am wondering how third-party plugin UIs could integrate into my
> app. Plugin support is in my plans. Of course I will generate the UIs by myself
> from the ports data, but I think that specific well-design UIs could be nice in
> some cases.
>
> It seems to me like we are talking about different things. You give a lot of
> importance to remote control, why my concern is "$subject on native hosts". And
> you seem to agree that a Web UI is not necessarily adapted for a PC host.

Yep.

> Right now, all my plans for audio software on mobile platforms involve GL and
> highly interactive interface. If there was a way to create plugin UIs which are
> portable on both desktops and mobile systems, then it could result in plenty of
> attractive plugins arriving on Android and others. But this is only important
> for fancy UIs. The UI can be generated from ports and groups in other cases as
> Paul mentioned. I don't need no HTML stuff for that.

I would much rather all the UIs be based on GL than a bunch of different
toolkits, but toolkits solve all the problems required (e.g. input), and
GL solves a tiny part of it, and people in this community know the
toolkits. So here we are.

> Also, I am mainly brainstorming and sharing some of the knowledge I acquired
> while doing mobile development. I don't think that I can really help with the
> long-term design choices that you need to make in the context of LV2. But I hope
> that sharing my point of view shred a little light :)

UI types aren't pressing decisions (a point that this list in general
loves to miss lately...). The UI extension is toolkit agnostic for this
reason. Maybe some day someone will make GL plugin UIs. Maybe not.
Whatever.

-dr