Re: [LAD] Portable user interfaces for LV2 plugins

From: Olivier Guilyardi <list@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 02 2011 - 21:15:42 EET

(resending this since my previous mail with attachments didn't go through)

On 03/02/2011 06:29 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Olivier Guilyardi <list@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> <pluginUserInterface gridWidth="16" grigHeight="8">
>> <knob port="gain" x="1" y="2" width="4" height="4" />
>> <slider port="freq" x="1" y="7" width="6" height="1" />
>> <waveform ...>
>> <pad ...>
>> </pluginUserInterface>
>
> from the depths of time:
>
> http://lalists.stanford.edu/lad/2000/Nov/0344.html
>
> it basically turned out to be useless. the host can put together a
> pretty good GUI by itself. it could do an almost perfect job with port
> grouping hints.

Here are a few of the abstract UIs that I asked my intern to build for
various LADSPA plugins: http://testing.samalyse.com/lad/plugin_ui/

He worked with the TouchOSC Editor, which was rather handy for this, although
the goal is not using such interfaces in TouchOSC.

Colors can help to group parameters which relate to each other. A certain visual
coherence can be given to the UI by simple widget placement. A certain degree of
compactness can also be achieved, especially for toggles.

But all this is highly experimental.

--
  Olivier