Re: [LAD] Portable user interfaces for LV2 plugins

From: Olivier Guilyardi <list@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 03 2011 - 12:36:28 EET

On 03/02/2011 11:49 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> Here (for once) we do agree :-) There's probably no worse way
> to show what a compressor is doing than showing the input and
> output waveforms. A simple bargraph showing the current gain
> - or better, the gain range over a short period - will do fine.

What about the idea of representing the threshold as an interactive horizontal
line? The attack, release and ratio could also be represented as a single bezier
curve with 3 control points. And the output waveform would be drawn over the
input waveform, for visual comparison. All of this over a short period as you
mention.

Also, I personally find waveforms useful when trying to achieve loudness, but
I'm not much of a sound engineer.

Quoting your other mail:

> I guess the situation could be somewhat different for an audio
> engineer controlling a 'standard' app such as mixer, and a
> musician using a GUI as an interface to his instrument.

That's what I think. Also, visualization can be pedagogical, as here if the
musician is not very familiar with compression.

--
  Olivier