Re: [LAD] Portable user interfaces for LV2 plugins

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 03 2011 - 13:15:35 EET

On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 09:33:43PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:

> On Wednesday, March 02, 2011 09:15:32 pm Fons Adriaensen did opine:
>
> > On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 12:17:40AM +0100, Stefano D'Angelo wrote:
> > > Does point #1 mean we basically may want visualization that expresses
> > > only a few properties of a certain waveform?
> >
> > Yes. Waveforms displays are completely useless for normal
> > audio engineering. You may need them for technical purposes,
> > when doing maintenance or testing. But there it ends.
>
> I beg to disagree with the premise that the waveform is useless.

Please read again what I wrote above. All the examples you mention
(and I agree with what you write about those) fall in the category
'technical purposes, when doing maintanance and testing'.
Plus they are about testing and measuring analog equipment, while
the context of this thread is about the GUI for audio plugins.

Yes a good scope is an essential instrument when developing and
testing equipment that is analog or has some analog parts, e.g.
AD and DA converters. But it is useless for an engineer making a
recording or doing a mix.

Ciao,

--
FA