Re: [LAD] Portable user interfaces for LV2 plugins

From: gene heskett <gheskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 04 2011 - 05:06:19 EET

On Thursday, March 03, 2011 10:01:22 pm Fons Adriaensen did opine:

> On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 09:33:43PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes. Waveforms displays are completely useless for normal
> > > audio engineering. You may need them for technical purposes,
> > > when doing maintenance or testing. But there it ends.
> >
> > I beg to disagree with the premise that the waveform is useless.
>
> Please read again what I wrote above. All the examples you mention
> (and I agree with what you write about those) fall in the category
> 'technical purposes, when doing maintanance and testing'.
> Plus they are about testing and measuring analog equipment, while
> the context of this thread is about the GUI for audio plugins.
>
> Yes a good scope is an essential instrument when developing and
> testing equipment that is analog or has some analog parts, e.g.
> AD and DA converters. But it is useless for an engineer making a
> recording or doing a mix.

Some of the best sounding commercials we ever did, were done during a time
when our production guru started asking if he could watch the levels on a
scope so I rigged one on the output of the production audio board. Then he
got the itch to goto Alaska & no one else seemed to care, despite my stated
willingness to teach them. Now, we are all digital, and the levels are all
over the map. Sucks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)