Re: [LAD] QT3 and KDE3 removal in Debian

From: Robert Jonsson <spamatica@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 15 2011 - 10:40:37 EET

2011/3/14 Fred Gleason <fredg@email-addr-hidden>:
> On Mar 14, 2011, at 18:09 53, Adrian Knoth wrote:
>
>> There's also a tool qt3to4 which can more or less convert qt3 apps to qt4.
>
> That'll get the process started, but if my experience is any indication, considerable hand-tuning will be required after the conversion.

As we have recently gone through this process for MusE, which is a
fairly large project, I thought I would chime in.
Getting the sources to compile using the compatibility stuff (qt3to4
and -lQt3support) was actually easier than we anticipated. We got
basic functionality restored fast but several things didn't work right
in this state.
I believe the compatibility library should be seen as a stepping
stone, there were several instances where moving a widget from a Q3
compatibility widget to a full Qt4 widget things started working
correctly again.
And yes, there was a bit of work removing the support for Q3
compatibility library but it turned out very nicely indeed.

Regards,
Robert