Re: [LAD] Good Mixer Library

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 01 2011 - 03:36:51 EEST

On 04/01/2011 11:20 AM, Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thursday, March 31, 2011 04:25:45 pm Conrad Berhörster
> wrote:
>
>> Hi gerald,
>>
>> Op den Middeweken 30 März 2011 Klock 09:45:16 hett Gerald
>>
> Mwangi schreven:
>
>>> Thanx all, tritium looks very much like my own
>>> preliminary design. One question, does it mask JACK so
>>> that I only have to use the Tritium API (only
>>> JACK-Audio, not Midi)?
>>>
> Well, yes and no. :-) Tritium is very modular (and
> becoming more so).
>
> For example, the Tritium::MixerImpl class we talked about --
> it just manages and mixes buffers. It doesn't directly
> interface to any audio API's. The audio API's are pretty
> modular, but not quite ready for "general purpose" use.
>
> Meanwhile Tritium::Engine sets up the whole sequencer engine
> and takes care of JACK for you... but that's not what you
> want.
>

>>> I also don't see any support for Inserts/plugins in the
>>> channel class. Am I wrong?
>>>
> At the moment it's handled like an old mixer board where you
> have 4 send/returns and you mix in each channel to go to it.
> This is inherited from Hydrogen, and I haven't decided if I
> want to do per-channel pre/post insers.
>

>> i think, tritium is a little bit to big for your needs.
>>
> Too big? I disagree.
> Too immature? Yes, indeed! :-)
>

>> further , it depends on QT,
>>
> It only depends on QtCore and QtXml... which isn't /that/
> bad. :-)
>

>> has all this midi stuff an
>> lots of song/player logic.
>>
> ...which can be omitted if you application doesn't use it.

Having worked extensively with tX and Hydrogen I think Tritium is the
perfect library for extending tX functionality.

Given that tX is very close in terms of *basic* user interface and
features to that other app which shall remain nameless and given that
Tritium is designed expressely to bridge the gap in Linux Audio that
needs to be filled from a modularity PoV in order for us to achieve the
more advanced features of the nameless app and given that this seems to
be where Gerald is heading anyway it would be a reasonable idea to
combine forces to

1: Enhance modularity of tX by integrating it with Tritium
2: Enhance modularity of Tritium by integrating it with tX
3: Get additional people involved in the development of Tritium
4: Not have to reinvent the wheel again.

Hydrogen is one of the most advanced compositional tools we have round
here. Tritium is designed to provide a modular way to integrate with
that functionality and extends it to be compatible with LV2. Integrating
that functionality into the tX interface and workflow will be a good
thing(tm) and beneficial to everyone.

There is a lot of good code and "live performance" interface ideas in tX
that would be perfectly suited to integration with the best parts of
Hydrogen. That is effectively what Tritium enables.

I am hard pressed to come up with a more powerful combination than a
modular tX integrated with Tritium. That would really be a useful tool
for live performance. Combined with xwax and we have a complete solution
for live DJing. Sampling, Drums, Midi connectivity, Turntables, Lv2
modularity, live plugins and all in realtime via JACK.

Having those tools completely integrated and modular would be a huge
achievement!

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.