Re: [LAD] [ann] CAPS 0.4.5

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Apr 10 2011 - 14:33:33 EEST

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 3:43 AM, Tim Goetze <tim@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Adding a port doesn't break the *plugin*, it /might/ break *hosts*
> that were designed around assumptions that aren't supported by the
> interface specification.

Strongly disagree. There are ways to add a port that won't do this,
but there are plenty of ways to do it that will.

> Following your suggestion and changing the plugin's UniqueID would
> break perfectly good saved session files in these and other properly
> designed host applications - instead of *preventing* breakage, it'd
> actually *cause* it.

Strongly disagree. The CAPS package would just continue to include the
old version of the plugin.

> If your particular LADSPA host design is incapable of handling a port
> signature change gracefully, you could fix it - an endeavour I'll be
> happy to help with, witness the discussed version symbol export - or
> you can simply choose not to upgrade your copy of CAPS.

You can't fix this in Ardour in general. As noted, just appending a
port won't break anything (I think), but the general issue that the
port signature has changed and this invalidates old state for the
plugin is something that definitely goes against everything that we
had in mind when LADSPA was designed.