Re: [LAD] [ann] CAPS 0.4.5

From: Tim Goetze <tim@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Apr 10 2011 - 16:52:32 EEST

[Paul Davis]
>On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 3:43 AM, Tim Goetze <tim@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> Following your suggestion and changing the plugin's UniqueID would
>> break perfectly good saved session files in these and other properly
>> designed host applications - instead of *preventing* breakage, it'd
>> actually *cause* it.
>
>Strongly disagree. The CAPS package would just continue to include the
>old version of the plugin.

Surely you will understand that I'm not inclined to maintain two
versions of a plugin whose code differs in only one line.

However, as a compromise, I am thinking about moving obsolete plugins
into a separate 'abandoned' package that would not enjoy further
maintenance. It's far from an ideal solution but then again nothing
seems to be.

>You can't fix this in Ardour in general. As noted, just appending a
>port won't break anything (I think), but the general issue that the
>port signature has changed and this invalidates old state for the
>plugin is something that definitely goes against everything that we
>had in mind when LADSPA was designed.

In that case, it is rather unfortunate that the specification bears
not a trace of your thoughts on this matter.

Perhaps you want to make an effort to fix it?

Cheers, Tim