Re: [LAD] What sound cards are recommender by developers? I'll order next week!!!

From: Ralf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sat May 21 2011 - 19:41:42 EEST

On Sat, 2011-05-21 at 18:28 +0200, Johannes Kroll wrote:
> On Sat, 21 May 2011 16:56:04 +0200
> Ralf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2011-05-21 at 22:10 +0800, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> > > If you cannot keep your Envy24 card for MIDI I/O, you might want to check out
> > > the ESI MIDIMATE II. It's a minimal USB MIDI interface (it's really
> > > just a cable,
> > > no box) which works very well in my setup. This could open up a few more
> > > alternatives for you, in case you decide on a device that would
> > > require you to remove
> > > the Envy24 card.
> >
> > I've got 2 PCI slots and two Envy24 PCI cards. I guess that most other
> > PCI audio cards ship with a MIDI interface too, but I'm not sure if the
> > MIDI jitter will fit to my needs. Fortunately Jack2 from svn (jackd
> > --sync -Xalsarawmidi -dalsa ...) + my Envy24 cards do fit to my needs
> > regarding to MIDI jitter, but audio doesn't ;). I do have a Swissonic
> > USB device, but I avoid to use any USB device when making music, perhaps
> > I'm wooed by fad ;), I even disable USB card reader by my
> > session-handling-scripts (sudo killall -9 -w pcscd ;). No USB mouse,
> > keyboard or printer etc. here. To be honset, I didn't tested zthe USB
> > MIDI with current Jack2.
>
> I can see how the packet-based nature of USB could create jitter when
> using a USB<->MIDI device. But how could some unrelated device like a
> card reader create MIDI jitter?

Perhaps I'm wooed by fad ;), anyway, I read about using PS2 mouse and
keyboard should be better than using USB mouse and keyboard, perhaps to
shared IRQ issues or something similar. USB might be an issue?

> On the topic of sound cards: can anyone recommend a cheap external USB
> sound card with many separate outputs (8 would be nice) and good Linux
> driver support? Professional-level sound quality isn't paramount, just
> lots of outputs. :)

Did you think of making several equal Envy24 cards (30,-€ at Ebay) one
virtual card? I didn't do it with my cards, but I guess this should
work, resp. I guess you're searching for USB, because you're using a
laptop? I guess there're Envy24 USB devices too and they are very cheap,
but full duplex etc..

Ralf