Re: [LAD] What sound cards are recommender by developers? I'll order next week!!!

From: James Warden <warjamy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 23 2011 - 11:35:48 EEST

--- On Mon, 5/23/11, Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
> Subject: Re: [LAD] What sound cards are recommender by developers? I'll order next week!!!
> To: linux-audio-dev@email-addr-hidden
> Date: Monday, May 23, 2011, 3:59 AM
> On 05/21/2011 06:28 PM, Johannes
> Kroll wrote:
> > On the topic of sound cards: can anyone recommend a
> cheap external USB
> > sound card with many separate outputs (8 would be
> nice) and good Linux
> > driver support? Professional-level sound quality isn't
> paramount, just
> > lots of outputs. :)
>
> Hello Johannes,
>
> Not much to recommend, basically only one candidate at the
> moment afaik:
> http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackUltra8R.html
>
> Best,
>
> Jeremy

... mmmm a USB2 audio device is not exactly linux friendly.

Below is a copy/paste of the requirement page. If I were interested in a USB-2 audio device, I would bring a linux laptop to a retailer's store and test the beast on the spot before purchasing it.

Cheers!
J.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackUltra8R.html

Windows XP (32-bit) with SP2**
DirectX 9.0c (included in XP)
USB 2.0 port
Windows Vista (32-bit versions) / Windows Vista SP2 (32Bit , 64 Bit) / Win7 (32Bit , 64 Bit)
1.6 GHz processor (CPU may be higher for laptops)
512 MB RAM*
* Windows Vista Home Premium, Business and Ultimate require 1 GB RAM.
** Home and Professional Edition only. Windows Media Center Edition is not supported.
*** Please check the minimum system requirements of your DAW software as they may be higher.

Minimum System Requirements (Mac)
Mac OS X 10.3.9
USB 2.0 port
512 MB RAM