[LAD] Status of USB M-Audio Fast Track Ultra/Ultra 8R

From: Aurélien Leblond <blablack@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 24 2011 - 15:58:47 EEST

Hi everyone,

For those who are interrested in getting the USB M-Audio Fast Track
Ultra/Ultra 8R...

It works almost out of the box in Ubuntu 11.04 (kernel 2.6.38) but:
- Alsa needs to be modified to get the Midi recognized. The fix is
already known and I'm very confident it will get to Alsa mainstream
soon.
- The internal routing of the soundcard is done via software. There is
a patch available wit the basic functionality but I haven't tested
that yet. Oh and the main developers of this functionality has been
posting stuff today on the Alsa-Devel mailing list, so he's working on
it.
- There is a small bug where the sounds cards is dropping samples.
Daniel Mack from the Alsa-Devel is working on it.

The most complete thread on the subject is here:
http://forums.m-audio.com/showthread.php?714-Not-a-problem.-FastTrack-on-linux/page21

Overall, it's not as well supported as the Edirol UA-25Ex for example
(the USB one I used to have), but I'm very confident it's only a
questions of months.
And the more people get it, the more information we can compile, the
fastest the issue is going to be fixed I suppose.