Re: [LAD] Synth/Sampler why the distinction?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri Jun 10 2011 - 02:51:39 EEST

On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 23:30 +0100, Folderol wrote:
> 'Do just one thing, but do it well.'

Yesno.

The Yamaha TG33, one of my synth that seems to be half broken, has a
joystick to mix several internal synth. Non of those synth is very good,
but by mixing those synth via vector control, it's able to generate
amazing sounds.
Using already available Linux soft synth with a similar vector control
could be amazing too.
Btw. Dave Smith still seems to have CEM microchips, IMO no soft synth is
able to reach the sound of those monsters and btw. the synth of the TG33
also don't reach this sound, but the vector control compensate this
lack. I guess Yamaha did steal this idea from Dave Smith, since the
Sequential vector synth is older than the TG 33.

Be that as it may, 2 * Yoshimi + 2 * Fluidsynth + a vector control,
certainly would generate much better sounds, than the TG 33 does and the
TG 33 is an asked synth.

2 Cents,

Ralf

PS: Yes, I need a replacement for the half broken TG 33.