Re: [LAD] Synth/Sampler why the distinction?

From: Devin Anderson <devin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 10 2011 - 04:52:46 EEST

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 3:22 PM, James Morris <jwm.art.net@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Since working on Petri-Foo I keep returning to the idea that perhaps
> it would be better to add a sampler-waveform to Yoshimi or another
> soft-synth. Too bad I'm not that great a coder.
>
> Anyway, the idea seems so obvious now. Are there any good reasons
> for why not?

I never used Specimen, but, from what I can gather, Specimen was more
of a sample player with envelopes and LFOs than a sophisticated
sampler. So, you might be able to get similar functionality by adding
waveform functionality to a soft-synth. Note that this isn't meant to
be a negative statement about Specimen.

I'd like to propose a different idea. How about creating an LV2
plugin that focuses on sampler waveforms? Over time, real sampler
functionality (loop points, velocity splits and layers, keyboard
splits and layers, controller regions, mute groups, crossfading, etc.)
could be added to the plugin. Other functionality that's common to
synths and samplers (filters, envelopes, LFOs, etc.) could either be
added to the plugin, or the dry output of your plugin could be sent to
other plugins in an app like Ingen, allowing your sampler to be passed
through as many filters, effects, etc. as there are plugins supported
by whatever LV2 host is being used.

Just an idea. :)

--
Devin Anderson