Re: [LAD] [LAU] cancelling I/O with libsndfile

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+la@email-addr-hidden-nerd.com>
Date: Tue Jun 21 2011 - 10:12:23 EEST

Dan Muresan wrote:

> > You need to supply me with a small test program and if necessary
> > this broken FLAC file.
>
> 1. Rather hard to do at the moment -- not the least because the
> brokenness is injected via the vio layer.

I never much liked the VIO layer. It was only ever added because
a large number of people requested it. I think its fragile and
it exposes too much of libsndfile internals to the user.

> 2. Why? This was not a bug report. This was an API *clarification
> request*. sndfile doesn't claim to support reset-by-seek (though I
> wrongly assumed it would), and you yourself said "maybe not on FLAC",
> "This is not possible on all file types" etc.
>
> Now, do you consider such behavior to be a bug (i.e. did you intend to
> support reset-by-seek)?

I would be surprised if reset-by-seek didn't work on standard
WAV/AIFF etc files with PCM data accessed via the standard
sf_read/write* functions.

Erik