Re: [LAD] Feature requests: add JackSession support

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 03 2011 - 16:19:45 EEST

On 07/03/2011 03:01 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 8:51 AM, Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> Every program (on un*x) can be "quit w/o save" without requiring changes
>> to the program: just send it a `kill -9` :-))
>
> if (request.type == QuitWithoutSave) {
> kill (getpid(), SIGKILL);
> }
>
> oops, you didn't reply to the session manager, which wants to know how
> to restart you.
>
> ok, so we leave it to the SM to kill you ... but using SIGKILL for
> this is about as bad as LADISH using SIGUSR1 for its own purposes.
> which is to say - it works, but its Not Unix :)

I should have known that you already considered this option.

>> Alas, jackd may or may not bark (xrun) if a program is killed without
>> properly closing its jack connection; but that's acceptable in that case
>> (closing the session anyway).
>
> I think that the SM should tell JACK to stop calling process(), somehow.

Well, sometimes one does not to see the wood for the trees..

Is "quit w/o save" really needed? IMHO a smarter way would be to
"auto-save" the session every e.g. 5 mins and add keep those as
revisions in a repository.

JACK does not require additional code, all functionality would be done
by the session-management tool. A "quit w/o save" would just "quit with
save" and then roll-back to the last saved session state or snapshot (if
any).

2c,
robin