Re: [LAD] RAUL?

From: gene heskett <gheskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 15 2011 - 18:20:11 EET

On Tuesday, November 15, 2011 11:14:21 AM Harry van Haaren did opine:

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 3:19 AM, Tristan Matthews
>
> <le.businessman@email-addr-hiddenwrote:
> > FYI, you're well within your rights to "earn money" from GPL software,
> > see: https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html
>
> Although you are right in the technical sense, I don't agree profiting
> from other peoples work on moral grounds.
>
> For example: http://www.illusionmage.com/ is a site that will sell you a
> copy of Blender, with a rebranded logo. Because Blender is GPL, any
> modifications must also be GPL. So the author of "Illusionmage" created
> a patch (available http://www.illusionmage.com/disclaimer.htm) and now
> sells the whole package for 47$ a pop.
>
> Although this technically complies with the GPL, I find it abusive of
> the GPL on moral grounds. I must agree with you that indeed selling GPL
> is allowed in the technical sense though. -H

The GPL still has teeth. However if this reseller is using the profits to
fund improvements and/or bug fixing, AND those patches are being
contributed back, then I have no huge moral problems with it. It may
resemble a wine vs crossover thing, if you want the latest, buy crossover.
If wine will run your app, that is ok too.

Cheers, Gene

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
You can't go home again, unless you set $HOME.