Re: [LAD] RAUL?

From: Iain Duncan <iainduncanlists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 16 2011 - 21:08:48 EET

> The bottom line here, for this paragraph, is that if you don't like the
> license terms, you are perfectly free to write your own version of the
> wheel, just do it in a clean room, you cannot have ever seen a copy of that
> source code. If, OTOH, you are not capable of doing that, and the only way
> to get the job done is to use something that has a license that is
> distasteful to you, then you should retrain your taste buds and comply with
> the terms. The license & copyright notices the author chooses to put on
> his output ARE what he/she puts on it and you have zero rights to decide
> otherwise.

In Canada, at least, the above is not quite true. I don't know about
elsewhere, but we are fortunate to still have protections for educational
use, so I definitely can learn from other peoples code, regardless of
license, and then re-implement it myself. Where the line is between copying
and re-implementing based on education is for the courts to decide, but
just thought i should point out that 'never having seen the source code'
would only be an issue IFF the infringement was already judged to be
copying.

Iain