Re: [LAD] jack transport change accuracy for looping

From: Iain Duncan <iainduncanlists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 20 2011 - 05:23:00 EET

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 7:19 PM, Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hiddenwrote:

> On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 10:15 PM, Iain Duncan <iainduncanlists@email-addr-hidden>
> wrote:
> > Just wondering if I understand this correctly. I making a loop based app
> for
> > step sequencing. When I previously did this in Csound, I clocked it off a
> > phasor, so the timing was sample accurate ( but that brought all it's own
> > issues to be sure ). I'm wondering whether I should do the same thing in
> > jack app, or use the jack transport clock, or some hybrid.
>
> there was a proposal many (*many*) years ago from jesse chappell that
> fully covered looping with JACK. it was never implemented. as it
> stands, it is not possible to get seamless looping with jack
> transport. in practice it might sound right for a given user with a
> given set of clients, but change any aspect of the configuration and
> it would no longer be seamless.

Thanks, I know you did some stuff with this with your old step sequencer.
Do you think it's better to just ignore moving around the jack transport
and do my looping internally to my app only? If there are known issues that
I'm just going to discover the hard ware, might as well save time not
barking up the wrong tree.

thanks
iain