Re: [LAD] jack transport change accuracy for looping

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 21 2011 - 00:03:54 EET

On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 4:45 PM, Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hey Paul!
>
> You said:
> "Many people look at Live and do not realize the sophistication of what
> they are doing."
>
> Can you briefly speak about what kind of things they are doing, just so
> that I would know how difficult it is and how realistically can we (not)
> expect this to ever appear on Linux - and just to get more educated about
> audio software.

no individual feature of live is beyond the capabilities of other
software (though they do have very, very good implementations of a few
core things like timestretch). nothing going on in live is beyond the
capabilities of some of the developers on this list.

but ... integrating all those ideas and features into a relatively
seamless, highly coherent whole is another matter entirely (as ardour
can attest to in a similar fashion).

the most important to realize about live is that everything you hear
coming out of it has been through a granular resynthesis engine. the
notion of "feed this audio to the output" doesn't really exist.
instead they have a very sophisticated architecture that is
continually, dynamically modifying multiple audio streams in dependent
and independent ways. analyse what is going with just one
clip/event/region and its all fairly straightforward. now step back
and consider the whole picture, and its much more complex and
difficult to (a) implement (b) provide nice ways to manipulate.
ableton have done both, reasonably well.