Re: [LAD] "bleeding edge html5" has interesting Audio APIs

From: David Robillard <d@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 21 2011 - 03:15:06 EET

On Sun, 2011-11-20 at 06:04 -0500, hollunder@email-addr-hidden wrote:
[...]
> I realize this question might be provokative, but I've never seen this
> comparison before and am genuinely interested in your opinion.
> Both java and browser/JS are cross platform. Both are available on almost
> every device out there. Why is browser/JS the way to go?

Because that is *actually* true of browser/JS, and not for Java.

* Most Windows computers do not have Java.
* Java is officially deprecated on Mac OS X.
* Java will never, ever be available by default on any Microsoft
platform
* Java is not included in the default installation of the overwhelming
majority of free software operating systems
* Neither the most popular tablet nor the most popular smart phone (the
iPad and iPhone, respectively) have Java at all.
* Java requires software installation of some variety (unless you're
seriously going to suggest using Java applets in 2011 with a straight
face...)
* Java recently has acquired a lot of legal questions making it not
exactly the wisest investment for new technology.
* There are many cutting edge modern browser implementations, and
activity here is moving at an astonishing pace. Java is a dinosaur.

This is not the 90's. The client side Java dream failed.

Regardless, if I may take the liberty of speaking for this community,
making people use Java for something is a sure-fire way of ensuring they
don't use it. The reasons why don't really matter. The browser Just
Works. Java is a PITA.

-dr