Re: [LAD] "bleeding edge html5" has interesting Audio APIs

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 22 2011 - 17:32:25 EET

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 10:14:46AM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> >> If you don't want to change the current value, don't touch the slider.
> >
> > Very easily done accidentally in a dense layout.
>
> its not clear to me how any GUI controller that responds to mouse
> motion can be immune to this issue.

Indeed. But if you can always return to the original value
without having to type it that makes things easier.

> >> If you want finer control of your parameters, there are different approaches.
> >
> > This is not necessarily about finer control, but about having 'preferred'
> > parameter values (e.g. semitones for an oscillator frequency). This should
> > always be possible without having to type numbers.
>
> indeed, this is a separate issue: essentially ensuring that there is a
> precise mapping of pixels to integral values of desired units (and
> back), rather than (as typically happens) pixels to some fractional
> value of desired units. e.g. I don't want to be able to tune to
> +2.8291 semitones, only to +1, +2, +3 and so on.

Maybe you want fractions, but the integer values should be
available exactly.

In many cases it doesn't matter very much. But even for e.g. a
gain fader I'd expect it top have a position that is *exactly*
0dB, and more in general I'd expect any tick marks to be exact,
at least in the -20dB..max range.

Ciao,

--
FA
Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal, die Sonne scheint - ein Glitzerstrahl.