Re: [LAD] Debugging environment for lv2 development.

From: David Robillard <d@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 22 2011 - 21:57:13 EET

On Thu, 2011-12-22 at 11:20 -0600, Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:
> On 12/22/2011 08:55 AM, email.rafa@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> > My development environment is very simple right now: vim editor, gcc
> > compiler, package the lv2 manually (will write a script for that in a
> > day or two) and then load the plugin in ardour to test it.
> >
> > I've found this setup to be a bit unconfortable because once I load the
> > plugin in ardour I don't know how to get debug information from it
> > (print statements or breakpoints with gdb).
> >
> > What does a lv2 development environment typically looks like? what are
> > you guys using?
>
> I use Ingen and SLV2.
>
> SLV2 also provides a simple CLI for loading your plugin (using its URL)
> and attaching it to the jack server. It's probably packaged for your OS.

The soon-to-be-released replacement for lv2_jack_host from (dead) SLV2
is Lilv, which can be found here:

http://svn.drobilla.net/lad/trunk/lilv/

Lilv is intended to be a somewhat minimal, but fully featured, LV2 Jack
host, particularly suitable for testing, but also a useful (non-toy)
tool for running LV2 plugins as Jack applications. It is much more
fully featured than lv2_jack_host, most notably supporting GUIs and
presets. Currently ongoing work to support host-shared preset saving.

-dr