Re: [LAD] rt-kernel and nvidia graphic card

From: <m.wolkstein@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 30 2012 - 20:55:32 EET

Am Mon, 30 Jan 2012 19:13:35 +0100
schrieb Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>:

> On Mon, 2012-01-30 at 19:08 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Mon, 2012-01-30 at 17:40 +0100, Dominique Michel wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have an asus amd64 PC with a nvidia GeForce 8800 GT graphic card. This
> > > PC is working fine with the gentoo-kernel and the nvidia proprietary
> > > kernel module.
> > >
> > > I want to experiment with the rt-kernel. It is 3 modules for the
> > > nvidia card.
> > >
> > > - The nvidia proprietary module, I guess that this is not necessarily a
> > > good choice because it will not be patched for use with the rt-kernel.
> > > But I am not sure.
> > >
> > > - The 2 others are with the kernel, nv and nouveau.
> > >
> > > Which module will be best to use with the rt-kernel?
> > >
> > > Ciao,
> > > Dominique
> > >

> > nv only!
> >
> > You can try nvidia, after faking the license for the kernel-rt by
> >
> > sed -i \
> >
> > 's/EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(migrate_enable);/EXPORT_SYMBOL(migrate_enable);/'
> > \
> > kernel/sched.c
> >
> > sed -i \
> >
> > 's/EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(migrate_disable);/EXPORT_SYMBOL(migrate_disable);/' \
> > kernel/sched.c
> >
> > sed -i \
> >
> > 's/EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(__rt_mutex_init);/EXPORT_SYMBOL(__rt_mutex_init);/' \
> > kernel/rtmutex.c
>
> I mean nv or nvidia only, never use nouveau. I wonder if nouveau should
> work.

hi, i use an self compiled and patched 2.6.39 rt kernel and active rtirq script with an
nvidia proprietary driver without any problems. also i run my kde desktop with compiz
window manager and a lot of nice 3d effects. most curios side effect is, that compiz in
combination with really low latency settings under jackd will perform much better than in
combination with kwin or metacity. i use the nvidia-installer instead any of the
distribution packages. the only more or less a bad side effect is, that you have to
reinstall the nvidia driver all time if an system update will update xorg packages.

system info:
kernel 2.6.39
nvidia-installer version 290.10
card is nvidia quadro NVS 140M